Safety is a typical overlooked factor when it comes to preparing for a journey. Due to the length of our adventure, approx. 2 months of floating, the Barrel Raft Boys will need to think far in advance to prepare. As we descend the Mighty Mississippi, the environment and elements will be ever-changing. We may have to deal with cold and narrow float in the North, while in the South we may need to deal with mosquitos, heat, sun and heavy river traffic.
The following is survival equipment and preparedness the Barrel Raft Boys will need for our Mississippi float.
- Bug Netting: Use to keep bugs off, water and moisture equals mosquitoes.
- Candle: Saves on our battery usage and a great way to keep a steady flame.
- Metal Cup: Metal can be used to boil water.
- Canned and Dried Food: We will bring most of the food we need will us. A canned and dried food store will be for emergencies only.
- Duct Tape: Simple, Fast and Effective.
- Fire Starter Kit: Obtaining a fire striking device and tinder is important as an alternative to lighters.
- First Aid Kit: Make sure your pre-packaged kit is overkill for what you think you need.
- Fishing Equipment: Fishing is a great technique to find food during hunger periods because the river is abundant and fishing takes the least amount of physical effort.
- Flares: Helps alert others in cases of emergency.
- Flashlights: Obtain a battery powered flashlight as well as crank-powered flashlight.
- Compass and Navigation Maps: GPS is a wonderful and reliable tool, until its dropped in the river or chewed up by Skully. Traditional navigational will be our fallback to guiding our course. Don’t slack! Obtain every map you will need.
- Protein/Sugar Bars: Pre-packaged bars that jump the digestive system.
- Water Purification Tablets: Becoming sick from drinking water is the fastest way to end a endurance journey, although we will have pure water storage nothing is a guarantee.
- Whistle: Easily recognizable as a warning or alert; getting lost in the woods or getting the attention of close vessels.
- Multi-Tool: Obtaining a Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife is important because of the multiple functions and uses of this small all-in-one tool.
- Epinephrine and Anti-Histamine: medicine is important while nature keeps us in check.
- Survival Manual: Bring an encyclopedia of knowledge, life always brings up situations that you’ve never experienced before.
- Hatchet: Read the book “Hatchet”, you’ll understand.
- Sturdy Cord: Parachute cord with high tensile rating.
- Poncho: Heavy rain periods will occur, psychologically its important to keep yourself dry and warm.
- Shortwave Radio: Hand-cranked for emergency weather reports or listening pleasure.
Please leave us comments with anymore survival needs and knowledge.